OSYC Sailing Education
Youth Sailing Education
SUMMER YOUTH SAILING…
2020 Youth Summer Sailing Classes
- The course is a two-week, 5 hours/day experience to convey to the student an understanding of sailing fundamentals, the ability to rig and sail club boats, and an appreciation for teamwork. They should also have a lot of FUN!
- Successful completion of the sailing course will assist the student in proficiencies required for a US Sailing Certification of Competency.
- Courses will be staffed by US Sailing Certified Instructors.
- Club members and course graduates ages 14 and up may then use club boats without supervision.
- Younger folks must have a qualified sailor’s supervision.
- The course is 50 hours and is conducted over two weeks. Fee is $250 before May 15, $275 after May 15.
- Wear bathing suit and t-shirt, Bring: towel, lifejacket, water, snack, sunscreen, and CLOSED TOE shoe
Youth Adventure Camp:
One week of dedicated sailing designed to give sailors a chance to get comfortable with racing, distance sailing, navigation, and generally having a great time with friends out on the water. The Adventure Camp is for kids that already have some sailing experience and ideally have completed our Sailing Camp or can demonstrate necessary sailing skills.
Sailing Adventure Camp is limited to 15 kids with a minimum class size of 8 kids. The fee is $175
Your sailors spent two weeks in class learning how to sail – this is their opportunity to use those skills to have fun!
After School Sailing
Currently, the OSYC is offering After School sailing lessons. This opportunity is open to any kids interested in learning to sail. We sail on the Hobie Waves as well as the larger catamarans as the sailors skills develop. If you are interested in getting your kids involved contact us at email@example.com
2020Youth Sailing Classes
Two Week Sail Camp Dates:
(click the blue links for more info and registration)
- Session 1: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, June 1-12
Mon – Fri
- Session 2: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, June 22 – July 3, Mon – Fri
Adventure Camp dates:
Private Lessons are available at $25/hour. Please contact FleetCaptain@osyc.com to check dates and availability
Useful Documents (PDF Format)
- Rules for Using Club Boats
- Sailing Glossary
- Hobie University
- Float Plan Form
- Adult Sailing Class – Intro
Youth Sailor Re-qualification
YOUTH SAILOR RE-CERTIFICATION / RE-QUALIFICATION
Sailors, Parents, Friends,
Effective April 1, 2014, all youth sailors under age 18 must re-qualify to sail club boats.
At no cost to you, we will have instructors to evaluate, and if competent, re-qualify youth sailors. Here are the details:
Safety, safety and safety.
With proper sailing skills, sailing the Club’s Hobie Waves is safe and fun. Youth sailors need to demonstrate that they have the skills to use Club equipment safely, and respond to the situations that can occur while sailing.
Re-familiarizing youth sailors and parents with the rules for club boat use, and boat checkout procedures.
The club has a set of common sense rules governing when and where Club boats may be used, and the procedures for checking out boats and filing float plans. Familiarity with these rules is a must for youth sailors and parents.
When: TBD: Watch your e-mail for date announcements
How: First-come first-served basis. Several sailors can go at once. 15-20 minutes per sailor.
Who: Instructors on the beach wearing an OSYC polo shirt, unless they are out on a boat
What: Sailors will be required to demonstrate:
- Rigging the boat
- All points of sail
- MOB (man overboard) recovery
- Capsize and recovery
- Beaching and de-rigging the boat
- Understanding rules for use of club boats, and boat sign out procedures
Upon successful completion the sailors updated certification record will be maintained in the club office.
If a sailor is unable to perform the above tasks satisfactorily, they will not be permitted to use the club boats until they can demonstrate these skills. Sailors may take summer sailing camp lessons, or contact the fleet captain to schedule a short refresher lesson.
If a sailor is unavailable to re-qualify on a boat during the dates listed above, they may do so on a space available basis during any of our summer sailing camps or by scheduling an appointment with our Fleet Captain.
AFTER RE-QUALIFICATION A PARENT MUST BE PRESENT TO REVIEW THE BOAT RULES AND SIGN A STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITY AND LIABILITY WAIVER BEFORE A YOUTH SAILOR MAY USE THE BOATS.
If you have questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to bring them to the management, OSYC board, or the Fleet Captain.
Check Us Out On Social Media
100 Front Beach Drive, Ocean Springs, MS 39564 | (228) 875-1915 | firstname.lastname@example.org